4/23/10

So you would like to know my secret?

I'm one of the top students of my class, and yet my test weeks usually feel more like free time than anything else. How can this be? :) Well, I'm going to let you in on the secret (if I have any readers, that is...).

In reality, I'm actually extremely lazy.

Yes, that's right, the 'nerd' 'geek' or 'Hermione' of the group is actually... lazy?! Oh yes.

You see, I don't like stressing, I don't like wasting time on cramming information during the test week, only to forget it the minute after, or in the worst case scenario a minute before, the exam. So that's where my secret 'weapon' makes its appearance.

I use a 'trick' to prepare for my tests, I would even go as far as to call it 'almost cheating', because it sure feels like that!

I'm using Anki an SRS to prepare for most of my exams. And it's not your ordinary flashcard program, believe me. (There is lots of information to be found online about SRS's - go google it - writing a complete essay on this would be a waste of my (and your) time - and that is the beauty of the SRS - it saves you time!)
But it all comes down to this:
The program is smart enough to organise your cards (the questions, facts etc) so that you're not wasting time on anything you already know. It uses an algorithm ( (c) smart people) to space the reviews in a smart way, enabling you to memorise much more information in less time. It is like... one of those "optimise my PC!" programs, but for your brain! ... I guess.

You see, in spending 5-10 minutes a day on adding new information, and reviewing you can go to an exam, feeling like you 'didn't do anything to prepare for it', and still pass the exam, and not just pass it, no OWN the stupid thing. (Hey, it's how I got 87% in phonetics - it works!)

Give it a try - it might not be your thing, but it's not all that hard.

... I wanted to include a list of articles on 'how to use an SRS for...' but I can't seem to find any good ones right now, the Anki website itself has some good information, and well... google ;)

2 comments:

  1. hi! I am Chisa.You are lazy?really?
    see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am lazy :) I always try to find easy ways to do something, haha... only I prefer to call it 'being efficient' ;)

    ReplyDelete